Houston, we have a problem.
March 18, 2008
Posted by on
So, I lost fancy sock one, and then found it two days later. I thought that would be the extent of my worries with this pair of socks once I got the hang of the pattern. But now, I have quite the problem. I’m nearly out of yarn and I have 14 rows of the foot pattern left, 6 rows of St st, and then 30 rows of the slowly decreased toe. I think I can make it to about the tenth row of the toe before I’m completely out. I’m already working with the extra bit I pulled out of the skein to make the stripes match up. And this is where I am getting my numbers from. In a panic, I even calculated how many stitches I would be knitting per row and counted them up and then compared that to how many stitches I knit with this patch of color previously in the sock. I think I have about 28 rows at 70 stitches to work with before I’m completely out. As it is, I’ll have two color sections back to back which will be quite noticeable.
I poured out my knitting basket and culled through for some fiber that might be used to finish this sock. I found one that is slightly thicker, but spun looser so when twisted tighter it matches, but it’s a cool ash grey versus the warm greys in the sock. Argh. Good thing all these issues are occurring at the part of the sock that will be covered by the shoe. I couldn’t imagine what I’d do if this pattern was toe-up. I shudder to think of it.
Poor Allan will have one very well done sock and one sock that is completely visually unpalatable. Some pair of fancy socks. I’ll have to give it another go with a larger quantity of fiber when I can get nerved up for it. I want Allan to have a nice pair of really fancy socks, not a mutilated, ho-bo version.