Reflections on Teaching
February 25, 2008
Posted by on
Today was the first day back to class after break, and after winter carnival, and after being out for two weeks with the flu then bronchitis. We’re four weeks into the third quarter and it’s just starting for me.
Some things I’m proud of:
- I let students know that I am a learner, too, and that we’re all here to learn from each other.
- I respect all of my students, and not just the well-mannered, easy to love students.
- I have a quick turn around time with student work.
Some things I need to work on:
- Implementing what I know to be effective practices every day. Right now, I’m struggling to balance the expectations with what I know to be good pedagogy.
- Balancing personal and professional time. Right now, it’s mostly professional.
- Teaching my students how to be respectful in the classroom. I haven’t been consistent on this point.
- Spend more time doing professional development as that is where I get my energy to keep at it.
- Research the lessons a little deeper to gain further insight into the topic. I had a student ask me a question today and I had no idea what the answer was. Luckily, I was honest and told her I didn’t know the answer, but I answered with my best educated opinion, and offered an opportunity for bonus points through some research.